“Let’s just take ourselves a little less seriously for a moment.”
Lawyer, chess player and legal adviser
As a keen chess player, Marco Anink likes to follow a carefully chosen strategy that is calculated to lead him to his goal. At the same time, he believes in the value of using adaptability to find creative solutions. Dutch is his native language, but he’s equally at home in English, Italian, Spanish and Catalan. Thanks to his connections in the international Eurojuris network, he can also help if the problem at hand involves a foreign legal system.
In addition to acting as a court-appointed insolvency practitioner, Marco advises his clients on the law on finance, on complex financing packages, on mergers and acquisitions, and on corporate investments and restructuring. Marco takes pleasure in the art of negotiation, which he frequently practises with partners from different cultural backgrounds (notably southern European), ensuring at all times that he takes careful account not just of the views and standpoints of all those concerned, but also of their interests and personalities.
Legal aspects of finance
As a specialist in the law on finance, Marco is ready to assist small firms and large investors alike in negotiating with their bank on alleged breaches of the latter’s duty of care. Such situations may arise, for example, where a bank terminates a customer’s account without giving sufficient notice, or where a credit line is withdrawn following a disagreement about identity data or customer due diligence, or in connection with recommendations made by a bank about the use of interest-rate derivatives (such as swaps).
Translators and interpreters
Marco is also unusual in closely following the fortunes of translators and interpreters. He has built up a reputation as a lawyer specialising in matters affecting translators and interpreters, taking a special interest in disputes about membership of the national register of certified translators and interpreters, the use of general terms and conditions, and matters involving professional liability.
- Eurojuris International
- Appeals Committee, Leiden Chess Association
- Chair of Leiden Chess Club
- Financial Law Association (VvFR)
- Association of Young Insolvency Lawyers (JIRA)
- Dutch Association for Comparative and International Insolvency Law (NVRII)
- Grotius Academy, specialist post-graduate course in finance and collateral
- DELE state examination in Spanish, level C1 (Salamanca, Spain)
- CILS state examination in Italian, level C1 (Siena, Italy)
- Master’s degree in civil law (Leiden University, passed with distinction)
- Italian private and insolvency law (one term spent in Siena, Italy)
- First year of degree in Italian language and culture (Leiden University)
Netherlands Bar Association register of fields of law
Marco Anink has registered the following principal (and secondary) legal practice areas in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas:
- Company law
- Financial law:
In accordance with the requirements laid down by the Netherlands Bar Association, he is obliged by virtue of this registration to obtain ten CPD points every calender year in each registered principal legal practice area.