You’re bound to have neighbours, wherever you live and irrespective of whether you’re a private or a commercial tenant or property owner. Among the problems that can arise are issues concerning:
- rights of way and rights of egress (exit) and access;
- views (i.e. clear or obstructed) over neighbouring properties;
- overhanging branches of trees standing in neighbouring properties;
- hedges, fences and trees;
- construction or demolition work carried out on a neighbouring property;
- obstruction of sunlight.
A conflict with your neighbours can easily lead to tense relations and in some cases to conflict. And a dispute with your neighbour is the last thing you want. After all, in the words of a well-known Dutch proverb, ‘a good neighbour is worth more than a distant friend’. So the first thing to do is to get together with your neighbour and try and find a solution that’s acceptable to both of you. If this doesn’t work, please get in touch with us. We’re highly experienced in resolving disputes between neighbours.